What is Open Platform Irish Dancing?
There are many Irish dance organizations that sanction feiseanna and certify instructors and adjudicators. Different organizations have different structures and philosophies, and teachers can choose which organization suits them. This affects dancers in a few ways.
Digital Feis is open platform. Open platform feiseanna are open to everyone regardless of affiliation. Schools belonging to any organization, or none at all, are welcome to compete. These feiseanna may be sanctioned by an organization, or put on by independent schools. Closed platform feiseanna (Irish dance competitions) are only open to dancers whose teachers are current members of that organization. Closed platform dancers may not be able to participate in outside feiseanna. Dancers should discuss their feiseanna rules with their teachers.
Current organizations include:
- An Coimisiún Le Rincí Gaelacha (CLRG) was officially established in 1930, and is largely closed platform.
- An Comhdháil na Múinteoirí le Rincí Gaelacha Teoranta (“Comhdháil”) was established in 1969, and is largely closed platform.
- Festival Dance Teachers Association was established to promote their unique style of Irish dancing in 1971.
- Cumann Rince Náisiúnta (CRN) was founded in 1982 and is the longest-running open platform organization.
- Cumann Rince Gaelach (CRG) was established in 1988 and is open platform.
- Cumann Rince dea Mheasa (CRDM) was established in 2002 and is open platform.
- Celtic and Irish Dance Association (CIDA) was founded in 2002 and is open platform.
- World Irish Dance Association (WIDA) was established in 2004 and is open platform.
- Rince Tuatha Nua (RTN) was established in 2013 and is open platform.
- The Alliance of Irish Dance Teachers (AIDT) was established in 2014 and is open platform.
- The Open Platform Irish Dance Federation (OPIDF) was established in 2018 and is open platform.
And these are just organizations focused on modern competitive Irish dancing — there’s so much more to the Irish dancing tradition! Have more questions about open platform Irish dance? Email firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re always glad to hear from you.